Wednesday 15 October 2014

My favourite albums

My favourite albums

I am quite an easygoing guy when it comes to music. However, there are certain bands that I love and others that I simply can't stand. This post focuses on my five favourite albums of all time, in reverse order...

5) The Strokes - Is This It

 The Strokes have always been one of them bands that people have raved about on social networking. I find though it is impossible to let others describe a band to you until you've heard it yourself.
From the opening chord to the final fade out, the Strokes have here released a phenomenal record that should never have a track skipped.
My personal favourites from this release are 'Someday' (cliche, I know), 'Barely Legal', and 'Alone, Together'.





4) Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Balcony

Am I allowed to add a band who only released their debut album last month to my favourite ever albums? If not, tough. This is a 'strange' album. Strange in this instance meaning that I had heard eight of the eleven tracks on The Balcony before it was released.
However, it was the three tracks (Hourglass, Business, and 26) that I hadn't heard that are incredible.
I have seen Catfish and the Bottlemen three times already this year and seeing them again in November. This is as well as having booked to see them four times in 2015.
My personal favourites from this release are 'Cocoon', 'Business', and 'Tyrants'.

3) The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

I first discovered Handwritten during an advert just before the release of the album. It was kind of a 'wow, I don't know who they are but I love that sound.'
After finally finding it was the Gaslight Anthem, I bought the album on iTunes for a bargain of £4.99 after receiving a £15 gift card for Christmas. Very useful.
Since then it has been the album that I can listen to at any time, place, or situation. The album must be played in full for the listener to get the most out of it.
My personal favourites from this release are 'Mulholland Drive', 'National Anthem', and 'Howl'.


2) The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

I imagine that the Stone Roses' debut album will be the favourite album of millions of people up and down the country. I am no different and find this album sublime. Not one song is a flaw to the 1989 album and there are few things better than listening to the album in full.
Considering this band are the reason that Oasis formed it is clear to see how powerful this release was.
Being able to dance to every track is a real treat and the music truly does inject itself into your limbs from the first note of I Wanna Be Adored.
My personal favourites from this release are 'Bye Bye Badman', Shoot You Down', and all eight minutes of 'I Am The Resurrection'.

1) The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow

This is a compilation album. I am well aware of this but it is the first smiths record I ever bought and I have been in love with them ever since. Combining single versions and John Peel session versions it is impossible to dislike any track on this album.
The Smiths are undoubtedly my favourite band of all time so I felt it only right to select Hatful Of Hollow as my number one album. I would describe this album as 'the record for any occasion.'
This somehow only reached number seven in the charts after the 1984 original release. A clear number one in my eyes...
My personal favourites from this release are 'This Charming Man (John Peel)', 'Still Ill (John Peel)', and 'How Soon Is Now?'


I hope you have enjoyed discovering more about my music taste.
If you have any comments, or want to tell me your favourite five albums, you can Tweet me them - @CAL4EVEREVER

No comments:

Post a Comment