Friday 10 October 2014

Charity Shops

The most underrated type of shop in the world

Image from http://www.21stcenturychallenges.org/


You say thrift shop, I say expensive charity shop.

They are pretty much the same sort of shop. You pick up vintage items that make you look hip and cool. The only difference is that charity shops cost a hell of a lot less.

My hometown of Hartlepool (in the grim north east) is full of charity shops. You find the wackiest clothes in there - especially Epilepsy Outlook.



I picked up this fur collared coat just after Christmas from there for a cool £3. Without a doubt the best purchase I have ever made.

You also find band shirts for everyone and anyone. I got a Goo Goo Dolls (had that Iris song that has been covered a ridiculous amount of times) 2006 tour shirt for £3.

Why pay more just because the shop is advertising itself as a thrift shop but selling the same sort of clothes as charity shop? Help out a local cause and get some groovy clothing in the process.


This Harrison Koisser-esque fur coat is something I spotted when in town earlier. At a bargain £20 you won't find a fur coat cheaper than this in the whole UK (probably). Although it was on the women clothing rail I'd be very tempted to wear it myself..

Recently more people have discovered the joys of charity shops and creating a more vintage look to their appearance. Personally I love them, always have since the days of being a bairn and going down with my uncle on a Saturday morning and buying toys for next to nowt.

Nowadays though, it is the clothing that is found in there that is more appealing to me. I attended Leeds Festival this year and was worrying about ruining my clothes. Problem solved. Go rummaging through all the charity shops and buy a full suitcase of clothes.

I managed to get a cagoule and endless shirts to take. I wasn't worried about them being spoiled. Panic was over and I could enjoy the festival in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment