Sunday 12 July 2015

Spotify. Yay or Nay?

Spotify - much better for bands to use it than not.  Yes or no?

Callum Thornhill

Spotify has come under attack by acts for apparently not paying enough royalties. Some artists, including global superstar Taylor Swift, have even pulled their music from the site. Swift has strongly voiced that she doesn't agree with the idea "that music has no value and should be free." A very fair statement, however I believe that Spotify can help boost a band's income.

The latest Apple invention, Apple Music, took a massive U-turn with their decision of not paying artists during the three month launch trial period. Taylor Swift once again taking a stand for fellow musicians. After this trial period users will be charged £9.99 a month, the same as Spotify premium, but Apple Music features Swift's music.

Musicians need money to continue, that is the truth. No one wants to work for free, and bands grafting their lives away to receive next to nothing is not a fair way to go about business. Selling merch, CDs, records and tickets help fund their existence, but royalties are certainly important.

So how do bands actually make money from Spotify that isn't classed as royalties? As simple and basic as it sounds, it is quite simply by users discovering them. For example, you're listening to your favourite band and on the 'related music' section there is a band that you've never heard of. You give them a go and suddenly you have a new love.

You look further into the band and realise they're playing at a venue 5 minutes down the road next week and tickets are only a fiver. Of course you're going to go to it. All from clicking a link on Spotify. I only got on the Spotify hype a few months back, but I have discovered so many new bands. It has allowed me to 'try before I buy' so to say.

For example, when Noel Gallagher's new album came out I was going to pay £20 to get it on vinyl, but that is understandably risky for an album I've not heard. By listening to it on Spotify and paying not a penny more to my bill to do so I was able to 'sample' it. Brilliant.

Personally though I'll always prefer to have a physical version of a release. Why? I'm not really sure, maybe just so I have something that I can look at and hold. But at a student rate of £4.99 a month it'd be ridiculous not to take advantage of Spotify premium and continue to discover new bands that otherwise wouldn't come to my knowledge.

To sum up as simply as I can, Spotify is a brilliant discovery tool, but of course we should not stop buying physical products. Maybe Taylor Swift doesn't need the exposure or discovery aspect that Spotify gives, but then again she is well within her right to protect smaller bands from being exploited.

A small royalty fee given from you to the musician via Spotify is much better than illegally downloading the tracks.

SUPPORT THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AND ACTUALLY PAY FOR QUALITY  

No comments:

Post a Comment