Thursday 9 July 2015

Coping With Studying at University

Coping with studying


Callum Thornhill


As part of my work experience placement I've been asked to write about how to survive uni. Basically, over three or four posts I'll be giving my thoughts and top tips on how to stay chill.

This first one is how to get over the massive workload that universities always give you. I hope it helps anyone that is going to uni this summer.

The best piece of advice that I can give is to try and stay on top of things. This sounds so much easier than it actually is, but if you start leaving work until last minute you’ll constantly be playing catch up and that isn’t beneficial to anyone.

Like, you get so much time to plan essays and the quicker you start drafting, the quicker you get feedback. It sounds so obvious, but it is beyond belief how many people will get to a week before the deadline to start writing their full essay. For example, one of my deadlines was March 20th so I started writing it around New Year’s Day. By doing this I was able to get regular suggestions from my lecturer, eventually getting a grade that represented my studies fairly.

The other necessary thing to do is to actually revise! Throughout my school and college years I didn’t revise, and when I did it wasn’t really worth doing. However, when I arrived at university I knew I had to change this or it would be a waste of a course. My course was mainly assignments and coursework so I only had one exam, still do I didn’t become complacent; instead I devoted the majority of my study time to the exam.

A combination of revision and planning MUST be scheduled efficiently in order for them to work. Time management and personal dedication are what will either make or break your university career. If you’re using all of the gaps in your timetable to sit in Wetherspoons there is a very low chance that you’re putting enough in to your workload.

If everything does get a bit much you can always take a couple of days break. Endless times I’ve found myself with writer’s block so left my essays for a day to get inspired before returning to it. Obviously only go down this route if you’ve got time to spare before the deadline. See, starting early does have its perks…

Another way to do well is to actually make use of the readings that your lecturers give you! You’re paying a hell of a lot of money for your course so make the most of their generosity. Of course you have to find your own texts as well, but those handed on a plate for you will probably be as good as they get.

By actually reading relevant texts to your subject you will gain a deeper knowledge and a higher interest in your course. The more you want to know, the better off you’re going to be. Keep reading your texts because believe it or not the information will actually come back to give you inspiration at 3am when you’ve been staring at the same blank essay all night.

You could always get a ‘study buddy.’ It sounds ridiculously cheese and cliché, but think about it; you’re a new student with no friends, as are most people. You need to meet new people as well as find others that actually want to get work done. Why not invite them for a revision session over a bite to eat and a few drinks? Kill two birds with one stone.


The final piece of advice I can offer when coping with studying is to accept that you are struggling. Don’t let your pride prevent you from asking for help. If things aren’t coming to mind for you, seek assistance. The likelihood is that more people than you on your course will be in the same position. Don’t just brush it all off to one side or you will regret it when you’re pulling your hair out last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment