Saturday 28 March 2015

Nick Mulvey Live Review

Nick Mulvey - O2 Academy, Bristol (25/3/15)

Joe Worgan


Nick Mulvey and his band played at Bristol's O2 Academy with support from “Fictonian”. I had not seen Mulvey before this gig, and was one of my most anticipated gigs of this year. Purchasing the tickets in September, I had to wait around 7 months to see the musical prowess of Nick Mulvey. Worth the wait? 

Nick has picked up a great following over the past year, and this was evident as he managed to sell out the Academy.

Entering the stage with raptures of an applauding audience, Mulvey began his set with ‘Alisa Craig’. For someone who has not seen him before, I was interested to see how he would incorporate the raw and ethereal-like atmosphere of his album.

Not only was I surprised at how good the sound was, the lighting was actually extremely impressive with single bars of strobe lightings inserted into the floor. 

Throughout the gig Nick played mostly all of his album, with even a cover of Drake’s ‘Hold On, We’re Going Home’ which even got me singing along, and I am not a fan of Drake, which says something. 

His playing was effortless that night, and his use of abstract finger picking blew me away. Nick played 3 songs without his band, offering the audience a insight into his musical competence. 

Nick got the audience singing along to some of his most famous songs including ‘Cucurucu’ and ‘Fever to the Form’, a really special moment. The show was closed with ‘Nitrous’ - a comprehensive track that pretty much, sums up Nick Mulvey.

I would highly recommend seeing Nick Mulvey live, or even listening to his album, if you're into acoustic music that is.

 Were the 7 months I had to wait for this gig worth it? Totally.

No comments:

Post a Comment