Friday 27 March 2015

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Think - review

image from rollingstone.com
 

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Think - review

Dylan Whatley

In 2013, Courtney Barnett released 'The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas' to huge amounts of praise from UK and US journalists and various magazines including NME.
 
Acting as a debut for the Australian singer-songwriter, she toured and played many festivals over the past year and a half. Finally, the actual debut album has been released and it's a good one.

The title of the Australian's debut is 'Sometimes I Sit And Think, and Sometimes I Just Think' and it opens with a groovy bass and drums combination in 'Elevator Operator', along with Courtney's signature lazy slur and clever lyrics.
 
Then into single, 'Pedestrian at Best' which is the heaviest song on the album. You can hear influences from early Grunge bands, like Nirvana. The single also has a video, which features Courtney dressed as a clown and I'm not fond of clowns, to say the least.

Further into the album, another single 'Depreston', shows the other side to Barnett's music, this being the calmer side. In this song, she talks about living in a boring town and wanting to get out. The short but sweet 'Aqua Profunda!' has 60's surfer vibes and I can see it being very fun to play live. The album then continues to impress all the way through. 

Buy 'Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit' here: http://courtneybarnett.sandbaghq.com/

Courtney Barnett plays the UK in March and April, get tickets here: http://courtneybarnett.com.au/tour/

No comments:

Post a Comment