Sunday 18 October 2015

My Three Favourite Albums (Ever/At The Moment)

My Three Favourite Albums

Callum Thornhill

In no particular order:

I like the idea of someone knowing the tunes I’m into; I don’t like the idea of only being able to choose three. As with any ‘favourites’ it is likely that as soon as I submit this I’ll have changed my mind.



The first of my three choices is Catfish and the Bottlemen’s debut The Balcony. I was lucky enough to get massively into this band before they hit the big time so when I was seeing them it was in really intimate gigs, as well as when they supported Little Comets.

They were always playing around with different songs that made the final track list. When it finally dropped last year there were only three songs; Hourglass, Business and 26 that I didn’t recognise – funnily enough Hourglass is one of my favourites they’ve ever released.

Hearing these new tracks interweaved with the tracks that were so familiar to my ears was a satisfying feeling. I’d pre-ordered ages before release and refused to listen to the leak days before it was officially out. There is always something special about the first spinning of a record not knowing how it is going to turn out.

I think it is the whole production of the album that makes it one of my favourites. The way that they’ve organised the tracks, especially on the vinyl edition, is wonderful. Hearing re-recordings of the tracks that made me fall in love with the band in the early days (Homesick, Rango, Sidewinder and Tyrants) is something else that has made me choose The Balcony for this top three.

When NME gave the album a mere 4/10 I was shocked and appalled, especially now that NME are getting massively into Catfish and the Bottlemen. For a band with only this album out to have sold out multiple UK tours and to take the US by storm it is quite an achievement. The Balcony is easily one of the strongest debut albums to ever be released.

People always says you’ll regret tattoos that you get at this age (19), but I got the very ‘graphic’ album cover of The Balcony and I don’t think I’ll feel that way in years to come...
 


Album number two from my favourites is The Stone Roses’ 1989 self titled release. Like Catfish and the Bottlemen, this record is their debut and I honestly believe that this album is an essential part of anyone’s record collection.

I can clearly remember buying it on vinyl. I saw it on the wall in Stockton’s Sound It Out Records for £30 and knew I had to have it. The crisp sound of the bass in I Wanna Be Adored opening the album is enough to make any music fan go weak at the knees.

The thing with The Stone Roses is that it isn’t just the music that makes the album great. The iconic paint splattered sleeve is one of the most recognisable album covers of all time. Pulling the 12 inch record out and putting the needle down for the first time is an experience you’ll struggle to forget.

Every song on the album is marvellous and the sounds it produces gives you an all year round summer feel. I think with This Is England 90 recently being on television has reignited my love for the Stone Roses. The music. The Fashion. The way they can combine the two and create a ‘cult’ following is unbelievable.

Personal favourites from this album include This Is The One, Shoot You Down and Waterfall. Although jamming to I Am The Resurrection throughout the eight wonderful minutes that it lasts is always a pleasure. Saying this, though, the full album flows beautifully and other that the unwinding Elizabeth My Dear the full album is a giddy ray of acid soaked happiness.

The closest I’ll get to seeing the Stone Roses nowadays is going to be tribute act after tribute act. One day I hope to hear this 1989 work of art in the entirety.



Choosing a third and final album for this list is somewhat impossible. However I have chosen The Streets’ A Grand Don’t Come For Free. Mike Skinner and co. have a mindblowing album at their finger tips.

The soundtrack to many nights on the town, but also an album that I could have on in the background. An essential CD for every car in my opinion, I’ve always liked the idea of driving down the motorway hearing Skinner’s quick wit and lyrical flow.

I was first introduced to The Streets when Fit But You Know It was on the Fifa 2005 soundtrack. Since then I’ve had ten great years listening to the band and heavily listening to their albums. Sadly, like the Stone Roses, I’ve never seen The Streets, nor have I been to see Mike Skinner do a solo gig.

My most vivid memory of A Grand Don’t Come For Free is playing the CD for the first time and Could Well Be In coming on. I think it is the story telling style of singing that Skinner does so well that first gripped me with the song. It is almost effortless, yet the tales he speaks of combine humour, memories and musical brilliance.

The cliché Streets favourite of Dry Your Eyes could soundtrack a million break ups. It is kind of heart touching hearing the lyrics and being like: “yeah you’re right, Mike.” Picking yourself up, dusting yourself down and getting on with life. Almost something that would fit perfectly in a film.

Other stand-out favourites from A Grand Don’t Come For Free are Blinded By The Lights and Such A Twat.


I hope you’ve enjoyed this personal insight to my favourite albums, but like I explained earlier, by the time you’ve read this I’ll have changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment